Online School FAQs

What grades are offered by Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy?

OVCA offers Kindergarten through 12th grade.

What subjects will my child study?

Language arts, math, science, and history are the core courses for grades K-8. A full academic program for grades 9-12 is also offered by OVCA. Visit our K-8 online courses and high school online courses section.

Does OVCA provide textbooks and other instructional materials?

Yes. We provide all the textbooks and instructional materials that are needed to complete the program. These books and materials are sent directly to students.

Will my child have the same graduation opportunities as students in traditional public schools?

Yes. We are a public charter school in Oklahoma. Students can earn a diploma through our authorization by the Statewide Virtual Charter School Board, based upon successful completion and mastery of course content.

Will my child be able to work at his or her own pace?

The K-8 program is self-paced and flexible within the parameters specified by state law. The high school program is a combination of self-paced work and scheduled lessons and activities. Students are expected to achieve a year's academic growth in a year's time.

Will you be able to meet the needs of my academically gifted child?

Yes. We use the engaging, challenging K12 curriculum, which ideally serves the needs of academically gifted students. We also offer a robust Gifted & Talented Program that challenges advanced learners. Visit our gifted and talented students section.

Child Find and Special Education

All public schools are mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 2004 (IDEA) to identify, locate, and evaluate students who may demonstrate disabilities through the Child Find process. The intent of Child Find is that all children with disabilities, ages 3-21, are located, identified, and evaluated in order to receive needed supports and services.
As public School, Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy provides a Free Appropriate Public Education to children ages 3-21, including those children who qualify for special education services unless the parent refuses special education services. In order for a child to receive intervention or special education services, an evaluation must be conducted to confirm the presence of a delay or disability.
OVCA provides specialized programming through specially trained teachers to provide education-related services for children with disabilities. Supports are provided in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) and range from mild and moderate to significantly more involved supports for each of the following disabilities as defined by the State of Oklahoma:

  • Autism
  • Developmental Delay
  • Deaf-Blindness
  • Emotional Disturbance
  • Hearing Impairment, Including Deafness
  • Intellectual Disabilities
  • Multiple Disabilities
  • Orthopedic Impairments
  • Other Health Impairments
  • Specific Learning Disability
  • Speech or Language Impairment
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Visual Impairment Including Blindness

If through Child Find activities, a child is identified as possibly having a disability and needing special education services, OVCA may seek parent consent to evaluate the child. All such evaluations will be conducted in compliance with applicable federal and state law and regulations. Parents must report that their child has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) during the enrollment process. Please contact OVCA Special Services to report students who may be in need these specialized educational and/or related services.

How much time do students spend on the computer?

Students in the early grades generally spend no more than 20-25 percent of their time on the computer. While attendance, planning, and assessment are all recorded online, only about 30 percent of the K-8 lessons are taught online. We believe in a balanced approach toward education. Computers act as powerful tools that can motivate, stimulate, and inform children about the world around them. Computers do not, however, replace a solid education; rather, they help facilitate one. That's why we use a unique multimedia approach that also includes a great deal of well-written and designed textbooks, workbooks, and hands-on instructional materials.

What does it cost to attend Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy?

Since OVCA is a public charter school, there is no tuition. However, students and families are responsible for providing a computer and Internet access and some consumable materials (such as printer ink and paper).

How do students interact socially?

Throughout the year, students are invited to participate in school outings and activities, which may include trips to museums, zoos, and clubs. We expect local clusters of students and parents to get together on a regular basis in their areas. We are also exploring new ways to interact socially using the powerful reach of the Internet. With online discussions and groups, new types of communities can be formed that are based not on geography but on shared interests.

Will this program intrude into my home?

There are no home visits as part of the program and there are no cameras or any other intrusions into your home. This school was created to help your child obtain a first-class education and to serve your family's needs. If you ever feel that it is not right for your family or your child, you can withdraw your child at any time.


Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy may disclose personally identifiable information from a student's education record as instructed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Visit the U.S. Department of Education website for an inclusive list of FERPA rights.

What are my rights as a parent of a child with special needs?

Parent Rights and Procedural Safeguards

Parents and guardians of children eligible for or currently receiving special education services have certain rights according to state and federal laws. For more information on parent rights in special education, a copy of the Oklahoma State Department of Education Parent Rights in Special Education and Notice of Procedural Safeguards is available the State of Oklahoma Website.

Parent Revocation of Consent For Services Under the IDEA

The parent of a child with a disability who receives special education and/or related services under the IDEA may submit a written request to the district revoking consent for the continued provision of those services.  Upon receipt of the written revocation request, Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy will follow a procedure consistent with legal requirements to terminate all of the child’s special education and related services and identify the child as a general education student for all purposes.

Does OVCA provide McKinney-Vento/Homeless assistance and supports?

OVCA provides McKinney-Vento/Homeless assistance and support for eligible families as defined below. If you feel you may be eligible for assistance through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, please contact Raeshelle Sharpnack, District Homeless Liaison & Family Resource Coordinator, at or (405) 259-9478 ext. 2140.

(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence...; and

(B) includes—

  1. children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
  2. children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
  3. children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
  4. migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

Children and youth are considered homeless if they fit both part A and any one of the subparts of part B of the definition above.

Where Can I Find the Most Recent OK State, School Report Cards?

Under the ESSA, beginning with information from the 2017-2018 school year, report cards must be posted annually on district websites. (ESEA section 1111(h) (1) (A), (B)(iii) and (h)(2)(A), (B)(iii)). At the core of the Oklahoma School Report Cards is the belief that all students can grow, and all schools can improve. While no student report card tells the full story of a child, no school report card tells the full story of a school. Education is far more than a single score or letter grade, but it is important that families and communities can see both strengths and areas that need support and improvement. Please find the OK state dashboard, here: